Recipharm in Ophthalmic Collaboration with Alcon

29.12.2015 -

Swedish drug developer and toll manufacturer Recipharm has signed a long-term agreement with Swiss eye-care treatment company Alcon, part of Novartis, to manufacture a range of ophthalmic products using its Blow Fill Seal technology. Recipharm said the agreement will add annual sales of more than €36 million.

As part of the deal, Recipharm will also acquire full ownership of Kaysersberg Pharmaceuticals for €18 million, with 75% of the sum to be paid this year and the remaining 25% in January 2016. The acquisition, which is being financed with existing funds, is expected to close on Dec. 31.

Kaysersberg’s main asset is a manufacturing facility in Kaysersberg, France, which currently supplies the ophthalmic products. The 260 people working at the site will transfer to Recipharm.

Thomas Eldered, Recipharm’s CEO, said Blow Fill Seal was a very interesting and growing technology. The process is an injection-molding technique for producing plastic unit doses of sterile drugs.